HowTo enable FP extensions for an addon domain
A) We won’t be able to install FP extensions on addon domain basically for
1) There won’t be a ServerName entry for the addon domain in the Apache config file and hence the install program will show an error like
the “domain” is not a valid virtual server.
2) FrontPage extension install program won’t install extensions in a directory which comes under another domains web root having FP extensions already installed.
To overcome these hurdles you can do the following.
1) Comment out the existing ServerName entry for the subdomain.
2) Create a new ServerName entry for
3) Create a temporary folder in the document root of main domain and MOVE all .htaccess* and _* files from public_html in to the new directory.
4) Remove the _* and .htaccess files(created by FP) from the addon domain’s folder.
5) Verify the access.conf file in apache config directory and ensure that the AllowOverride directive is set to ‘All’. Some times this will not be enough for us to continue, hence, you have to make sure that the AllowOverride is set to ‘All’(by default it will
be ‘None’) in Apache config file.
Change only the directive inside
6) Restart Apache and run the install program from back end.
#/usr/local/frontpage/version5.0/bin/owsadm.exe -o install -u $USERNAME -xuser $USERNAME -xgroup $USERNAME -p 80 -m $DOMAIN -pw $PASSWORD -s /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf
$USERNAME give control panel login name
$DOMAIN give addon domain use www.addon.com
$PASSWORD choose a password
7) Restore the changes you made in the Apache config file.
Cool Move the .htaccess* and _* files from the backup directory (main domain web root).
If you are still having problems with connecting to the server using
FrontPage please make sure that the server name is http://www.addondomainname and you may also want to close the FP program and
start again to clear cache.